National Law University, Delhi is inviting applications for the post of Associate Litigation for Project 39A.
About NLU Delhi
National Law University, Delhi is a National Law University in India, offering courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
About Project 39A
Project 39A draws inspiration from Article 39-A in the Indian Constitution on equal justice and opportunity in the legal system. They work on issues specific to the criminal justice system and undertake litigation, research and outreach relating to forensics, torture, legal aid, forensic psychiatry and the death penalty.
About the Litigation Initiative
Project 39A provides pro bono legal assistance to prisoners sentenced to death across the country. The Project also represents prisoners who are challenging the rejection of their mercy petitions by the Governor or the President.
Additionally, the Project is involved in strategic litigation aimed at challenging procedural and substantive aspects of the criminal justice system for the realization of the constitutional rights of prisoners sentenced to death.
Litigation associates of the Project brief eminent senior advocates or experienced criminal defence advocates in the Supreme Court and High Courts. The Project has been involved in several Criminal Appeals, Review Petitions and Writ Petitions before various judicial fora.
About the Position
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for the position of Associate Litigation for Project 39A.
No. of Positions
1 year, can be extended on an annual basis at the discretion of the University.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Draft criminal appeals, review petitions, writ petitions, applications, rejoinders, mercy petitions and other legal documents.
- Brief and assist senior advocates and advocates on record.
- Devise legal strategy and arguments for cases handled by Project 39A and carry out related research.
- Visit prisons across India to conduct detailed interviews with prisoners sentenced to death, and their families as part of developing legal strategies in particular cases.
- Regularly communicate with prison authorities to obtain case-specific information and documents.
- Present the work of Project 39A at the appropriate fora.
- Contribute to the research and strategic efforts at Project 39A as and when required.
- Organise training workshops and conferences.
- Any other work that may be necessary to further the aims of Project 39A.
- Graduate with an LLB degree and enrolment with any State Bar Council.
- Those with full-time criminal litigation experience of two years or more at the appellate stage will be given preference.
- The ability to read/ write/ speak different Indian languages will be preferred but is not mandatory.
- This is a full-time position based in Delhi.
How to Apply?
Interested persons may send their résumé and a statement of purpose, explaining their interest in representing prisoners sentenced to death and the contribution that they see themselves making through this position. The statement of purpose must not exceed 750 words. The application shall be submitted through the link provided at the end of this post.
The compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Application Deadline – October 2, 2022
- Shortlisting of candidates – October 6, 2022
- Online tests & Interviews – October 6 to 16, 2022 (Tentative)
NLU Delhi Campus, Dwarka, New Delhi
In case of any queries, please contact p39a[at]nludelhi.ac.in