Ramaiah College of Law is organising the first edition of its National Client Counselling-Negotiation Competition from August 6 to 8, 2022.
About Ramaiah College of Law
Ramaiah College of Law (RCL) was established in the year 1995 with an endeavour to provide quality legal education that will help create a community of morally, ethically and socially responsible citizens.
About the ADR society
The Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) society of Ramaiah College of Law was established in 2016 and has been focused on creating general awareness of the content, context, meaning and utility of Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms.
The society has played an instrumental role in conducting regular Alternative Dispute Resolution training sessions, with a robust combination of its theoretical and practical facets.
In addition, the ADR Society bolsters regular participation and excellence of the students in ADR competitions and is actively involved in organising guest lectures on the various nuances of ADR.
About the Client Counselling-Negotiation Competition
Samyat means to meet together; encounter; agreement; a means of joining or uniting. Samyat 2022 being a pioneer in this format of competition also signifies continuity. Its uniqueness lies in the progression from interviewing a client, to negotiating on their behalf, all in one round.
The idea is to enable participants to comprehensively showcase their prowess in dispute resolution. The format offers a unique approach to various ADR mechanisms, giving teams an opportunity to showcase their talents in both, the client counselling and negotiation aspect of the competition.
The theme of the competition is commercial law as consulting lawyers and negotiating form a quintessential part of corporate transactions.
- Each team shall consist of two bona fide students enrolled in 3/5 year undergraduate law programme in a law college/university recognised by the Bar Council of India.
- The registration will be on a first-come-first-serve basis, up to a maximum of 24 teams. Every institution may register a maximum of two teams.
- Team members must be of the same institute; cross-teams are NOT allowed.
Format of the Competition
- Each round consists of two stages:
- Stage 1: Client counselling
- Stage 2: Negotiation
- Stage 1
- Each team consisting of two members shall assume the role of advocates/legal counsels and interview the client, who shall be provided by the host college
- Client counselling and negotiation are part of the same round, the substance of the problem will remain the same.
- At the end of Stage 1, Confidential Information (“CI”) pertaining to the problem will be released. The CI shall be specific to each team, depending on whether their client from Stage 1 was the Requesting or the Responding Party
- A duration of 15 minutes will be given to the teams to peruse the CI before the commencement of Stage 2. Teams are to negotiate based on the information/objectives provided to them in the CI, and make strategic use of the same
- Stage 2
- Two teams square off against one another in Stage 2, i.e., negotiation, wherein the members of the team assume the roles of client and counsel
- The teams will then be marked cumulatively for their performance in both stages, and shall be ranked accordingly
The rounds of the competition are structured as below:
- Two Preliminary Rounds
- Semi-Finals (Top 4)
- The registration will be on a first-come-first-serve basis, up to a maximum of 24 teams.
- Every institution may register a maximum of two teams.
- A Registration fee of INR 2500/- will be payable.
- Please register through the link given at the end of this post.
- Winners: INR 20,000.
- Runners-up: INR 12,500.
- Best Negotiating Team (Prelims): INR 3,500.
- Best Client Counselling team (Prelims): INR 3500.
Mode of Conduct
The competition will be held online via ‘Zoom’ platform.
- Last date for Registration: July 31, 2022
- Release of problems and scoring criteria: July 20, 2022
- Last date for seeking clarifications: July 30, 2022
- Release of clarifications: August 1, 2022
- Dates of the Competition: August 6 to 8, 2022
In case of queries, please write at [email protected] or contact:
- For registration queries:
- Nihal M: +91 80738 95875
- Vybhavashree: +91 80504 90857
- For any further enquiries:
- Sudarshan B K (Convenor): +91 87469 03362
- Vaishnavi Naik (Co-Convenor): +91 79755 85063
Click here to view the brochure for further information.