A Minneapolis man was in court this week on a felony charge alleging he bit off a large piece of a soccer opponent’s ear during a tussle at a St. Anthony park.
Mouktar Hassan Bouh, 35, was arrested last week on a warrant after being charged with third-degree assault in connection with the August incident at Central Park.
According to the criminal complaint, the piece of the man’s ear could not be reattached because it was not found.
St. Anthony police were called to the pavilion of the park around 10:45 p.m. Aug. 10 on a report of an assault. They met with a man who had a large piece of his ear missing.
He told officers he was playing soccer with a group of people he did not know and that one of the opposing players, later identified as Bouh, put him in a headlock during an altercation. He said he tried to break free by biting the player’s chest, and that the man then bit off a large piece of his ear.
Bouh was not arrested at the scene “due to a large group gathering in the area,” the Aug. 25 complaint read. An arrest warrant was issued Aug. 26 and he was taken into custody on Sept. 9.
Bouh was released from jail Tuesday after posting a $40,000 bond. He made an initial appearance on the charge in Hennepin County District Court on Wednesday.
Minnesota court records show that Bouh does not have a criminal record, other than a parking ticket.
Bouh has retained an attorney, who did not return a call Thursday for comment. Bouh is due back in court Oct. 10.